was first settled in 1872 and named in honor of the daughter of
N.P. Cook, one of the first six men who settled at the town site.
In 1879 the first newspaper was established and during the next
two years, the Burlington and Missouri Railroad was built in the
the town grew rapidly to over 300 residents.
The town continued to grow as an agricultural center throughout
the first half of the Twentieth Century, and in 1952, the Harlan
County Reservoir was completed, providing irrigation and flood control
throughout the region in addition to year-round fishing, boating
and camping opportunities. Establishment of the park areas
near the dam enhanced the already bountiful hunting in the area.